Friday, March 1, 2013

9 Yoga Classes Left


5. Use up my gift certificate for 10 yoga classes


The Moksha Yoga series consists of 40 poses practiced in a heated room designed to promote openess through your hips and strength through the upper body while detoxifying your entire body. Both standing and seated poses are practiced, giving a balanced cardiovascular workout.






Exactly 5 years ago, Sybs got me a gift certificate for 10 yoga sessions at Moksha Yoga Sudio, and today, I finally attended my first class! After a few high fives for keeping the GC for so long from the ladies running the show, I rented a yoga mat and towel (I actually forgot a towel!), and found a space in the back of the class near the huge windows. I was feeling good in the warm room, lost in the hypnotizing effect of the snow falling outside. As the room filled up, I started getting nervous when a muscular shirtless man with a tattoo of tree branches & vines wrapped all around his chest and back settled down beside me, and went straight into a headstand and held the pose while breathing like Darth Vader...  

When the class finally started, we were asked to sit still, crossed legged and focus only on breathing and letting go of our stress, of all the past and the future and all those things we can't change or control and think only of the present and our breath. I started to relax once again and felt amazed at the sound and energy when we all Omed in unison.

I managed to maintain my composure throughout the 90 minute class, surprising myself in my ability to keep balanced (even tree headstand guy tumbled from time to time) as the sweat poured into my eyes and down my neck. I noticed my hamstrings are super tight, my quads are even tighter, and my back has practically zero flexibility, and I don't really understand how or why Darth Vader breathing is really necessary... but I can't wait to do it all again next week (minus the stepping in other people's sweat on the way out part)!!
 


No comments: